A guide on how to apply liquid makeup products
Ah, makeup, we love it, we follow the latest makeup trends and we come up with a few trends of our own, glorious! But what has truly burst onto the scene in recent years are liquid makeup products. What’s more, is that you can still find full coverage foundation and the likes in the form of liquid makeup. The more the merrier we say. Here’s a guide on how to apply the different liquid makeup products available today.
There are three ways in which you can apply liquid foundation. Firstly, you can use a sponge, secondly, you can use your hands, and lastly, you can use a brush. Let’s break it down for you.
Beauty blenders are all the rage and really one of the best tools to apply makeup, which makes complete sense if you think about it. Beauty blenders provide an easy yet airbrushed finish, a win in anyone’s book. But there are some tricks you need to be aware of. First things first, ensure your sponge is wet before applying your makeup. This helps you to achieve even coverage and minimize product absorption. So how wet should your sponge be? Well, you only need to run it under the tap for a few seconds until it is saturated and plump. Once it’s wet, dip it into the liquid foundation you put it on the back of your hand, and dab it on lightly.
First things first, wash your hands before applying your makeup as you don’t want any dirt to get onto your skin that might cause an infection. Hygiene always! Once your hands are nice and dry, put a little liquid foundation on the back of your hand. Dip your fingers into the foundation then spread it across your face gently. Remember to start at your t-zone and blend it out from there.
A pro tip that we discovered recently is to rather use a brush with synthetic bristle as natural bristle tends to be more porous which means it will absorb some of the product. Applying your foundation with a nice fluffy brush will leave you looking great with a smooth and sometimes a full-on airbrushed look! Winning.
Now, for liquid eyeliner we are not only going to focus on how to apply it but also on the mistakes made while applying and how to fix them. Sometimes when applying your eyeliner there’s a gap between your lashes and liner. This can often look messy and to correct this, you must try and apply your liner as close to your lashes as possible.
Next up is the droopy wing. This can really drag the corners of your eyes down if you are not careful. When applying keep this in mind: when creating your flick, make sure it does not dip below the lower lash line. Up and out is what works best. A pro tip from makeup artists is to apply a dot where you’d like the wing to end.
Those gorgeous lips deserve some treatment as well. Follow these steps when applying liquid lipstick:
- Exfoliate those lips: This is quite an important step. If your lips are in any way cracked or chipped, the lipstick will not spread evenly and can look messy. So, before you start the entire process first give your lips a great scrub if they are cracked. Opt for a lip scrub or even use your face cloth and give it a slight rub.
- Remove excess moisture: While this might sound weird, first apply some lip balm to lock in some moisture if you need it. Thereafter, use a paper towel or facecloth to gently rub off the lip balm and blot your lips dry to remove any excess oils.
- Line your lips: As you don’t want to risk the chance of going over your actual lip lines AND lip liner makes your lips look extra special, apply liner before applying your lipstick.
- Edges of your lip line: You are going to want to blend these first. Using a piece of cotton, gently blend the outer edges of your lip line. For the inner edge, work inwards and you’ll have a more seamless look.
- The final step: Now you are ready to apply your lipstick. Start applying from the inner part of your lips. This area receives a lot of movement so starting here first will allow the liquid lipstick more chance to dry first.