In the field of lash extensions, retention refers to the duration of your eyelash extensions. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of the exact lifespan of lash extensions. The retention given on the label of your lash adhesive is an estimate based on ideal conditions and the assumption that you have followed all indicated requirements.
On that topic, there are several variables that you may influence that can impact your client’s retention. Once they leave your space, they are now responsible for their lash extensions. However, before they leave, here are four methods to increase your lashing retention:
1. Verify that your products are not past their retention date.
The freshness of the lash adhesive you use has a significant impact on the longevity of the lash extensions.
Cyanoacrylate and other chemicals are used in the formulation of lash adhesives. With time, the components begin to separate and, as a result of oxidation, lose their efficacy. When using your glue, thoroughly shake the bottle before using; this will emulsify the chemicals and allow your adhesive to operate at its best.
However, if your lash glue is outdated, the chemicals are no longer fresh, resulting in weaker bonding and poor retention. Therefore, always verify the expiration date and shelf life of your lash glue before use. Pro tip: label your bottle with the date it was opened to avoid any confusion.
2. Concentrate on lash preparation for retention (cleanser+primer).
Don’t skimp on the preparation! It is critical to have clean eyelashes before lashing to ensure long-lasting retention. Oil, dust, cosmetic residue, and debris all contribute to decreased lash retention and a weaker link between your lash glue and your lashes. Wash your client’s eyelashes using an oil-free, extension-friendly cleaner.
Then, using a lash primer, ensure that no oil, dust, residue, or debris remains in your client’s eyelashes. A lash primer helps to regulate the pH level of your client’s eyelashes, hence increasing lash retention.
Prep your client’s eyelashes properly!
3. Teach your clients basic aftercare techniques to ensure their retention.
The everyday routine of your client is a significant factor in why their eyelash extensions fall out sooner than planned. Teach your client correct aftercare procedures, including dos and don’ts, as well as product recommendations. Include ingredients that they should avoid as well.
Emphasize the importance of daily eyelash cleaning. Utilize the appropriate lash cleanser and mascara wands to comb and remove any accumulated debris and dust in their lashes and lash line.
Remind your clients not to dilute products such as cleansers that are not intended to be diluted for the sake of cost savings. When a cleanser is diluted in a way that it is not designed to be, its efficiency is diminished. This implies that their cleansers will be unable to completely remove all of the undesired detritus, oil, grime, and makeup residue from their eyelashes, resulting in premature shedding.
4. Maintain an appropriate work environment to maximize retention
Measure the humidity and temperature in your lash room with a hygrometer and thermometer. Examine the label on the lash glue. The manufacturers always specify the recommended ideal room temperature and humidity level for the maximum performance of the lash adhesive.
Ascertain that the humidity and temperature levels within your lash room are within the recommended ranges. A low humidity level will cause your lash glue to dry slowly, whilst a high humidity level will cause it to dry quickly. In both circumstances, the binding will be weak and the retention of the lashes will be insufficient.
Do you require further retention strategies?
Here are a few more helpful tips:
- Make sure the lash extensions are perfectly parallel to your client’s natural lashes. Dirt, debris, and oil will soon build if the extensions are not completely linked at the base. The buildup will begin weakening the bond. Ensure that your extension bases are flush with the natural lash; this provides the most surface area for your adhesive to attach to and also gives your sets a seamless appearance.
- Treat your lash adhesives right. Maintain proper storage and handling of your glue. Your retention is contingent upon it. Adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions and, if feasible, determine the date of manufacture to guarantee proper shelf-life storage.
- Try shock curing. However, do not overuse it. Nano misting is one of the most effective methods for enhancing lash retention. Maintain a distance of at least 12 inches between the nano mister and your client’s face. Maintain this position for a maximum of 30 seconds. Anything greater than 30 seconds will have the reverse effect of shock cure. You want to avoid seeing water beads on your client’s lashes.
- Advise your clients about makeup. Educate your clients on the dangers of oil-based makeup. Waterproof eye makeup is notoriously difficult to remove and is not recommended for use with extensions. Regardless of the cosmetics your clients use, they should always be gentle with their eyelashes when removing them.
The most effective lash extension adhesive for retention
There are numerous lash glues on the market nowadays. I understand how perplexing it might be to locate lash adhesive. Additionally, clients have varying needs. We provide the following five of the best lash extension glues for retention:
Supreme Adhesive (4 – 5 weeks)
This lash adhesive is frequently used by lash artists with experience. Supreme Adhesive dries swiftly, in less than two seconds. Lash retention ranges between 4 and 5 weeks, depending on the aftercare regimens of your clients.
- 1 to 2 seconds drying time
- Black color
- Low fume
- Lash retention: 4 to 5 weeks
- Ideal for intermediate to advanced lash artists
- Classic and Volume lashes
Elite Adhesive (6 – 7 weeks)
Due to the viscosity of Elite Adhesive, it is suitable for novices and practicing lash artists. Numerous newcomers appreciate the “thickness” of this glue and its tolerable drying time. The retention of the lashes is roughly 6 to 7 weeks.
- 2 seconds drying time
- Black color
- Lash retention: 6 to 7 weeks
- Classic and Volume lashes
LBLA Omega Adhesive (7 – 8 weeks)
The unique feature of LBLA Omega Adhesive is its rapid drying time. It is dependent on the relative humidity in your particular room. If it is between 65 and 70%, the drying time is instant; 40% to 55%, the drying time is 0.5 to 1 second; and 25% to 40%, the drying period is 1 to 2 seconds. This is one of the reasons why this lash adhesive is so popular among lash tech. The drying duration may be easily adjusted by increasing the humidity without affecting the retention.
- Instant to 2 seconds drying time (depending on the humidity)
- Semi black color
- Minimal fumes
- Great for mega volume lash extensions
- Lash retention: 7 to 8 weeks
If your customer wants massive volume lashes that will last for an extended period of time, you should strongly consider using LBLA Omega Adhesive.
SUGARLASH Bond Noir Adhesive (Up to 8 weeks)
This lash adhesive works well with both conventional and volume lashes. SUGARLASH Bond Noir Adhesive dries in less than 0.5 seconds. That is why you must be able to keep up with the drying pace of the material. It has a great glossy black color that gives the eyelashes a lovely shining shine.
- 0.5 second drying time
- Low fumes
- Glossy black color
- Lash retention: up to 8 weeks
- Ideal for experienced lash techs
SUGARLASH Bond Noir Adhesive maintains lashes for up to 8 weeks. Its texture and viscosity are quite adaptable, making it simple for experienced tech to utilize.
LASHGOD Supernatural Bond (8 – 10 weeks)
This lash adhesive is completely oil-resistant, which aids in the retention and bonding of the lashes. LASHGOD Supernatural Bond dries very instantly. That is, you must be able to keep up with the drying process. It is frequently utilized by highly skilled lash tech.
- 0.2 to 0.5 drying time
- Jet black color
- Low fumes
- Lash retention: 8 to 10
- Ideal for experienced lash techs
LASHGOD Supernatural Bond is free of latex, formaldehyde, and off-putting fumes. If you want your client’s eyelash extensions to endure as long as possible, this is the lash adhesive for you! Additionally, it is suitable for individuals with sensitive skin.
Numerous factors influence eyelash extension retention, including your client’s aftercare routine, lifestyle, and so on. You have no control over these events. However, you can ensure that you clearly explain the significance of their aftercare practice and how it impacts their eyelashes. Rather than that, concentrate on the variables that you can control and always utilize high-quality items in your lash salon. This will save you time and money by ensuring that your consumers are satisfied with their lengthy extensions.