It is no secret that most Asians have low nose bridges and flat nose tips. This is why “nose lift” is one of the sought-after cosmetic treatments here in Singapore. Despite its effectiveness in improving the appearance of the nose, plastic surgery is not everyone’s cup of tea. Nowadays, more and more Singaporeans turn to non-invasive procedures for nose enhancement and nose threads are probably the most recommended option.
Still, having doubts about nose threads? Here, Dr Israr Wong has answered 10 frequently asked questions on nose threads in Singapore.
1. What are nose threads?
Nose threads are made up of polydioxanone (PDO) and are naturally absorbed by the body. Nose threads insertion is a non-surgical, minimally invasive procedure that can make your nose more natural and attractive by:
- reshaping nose structure
- increasing nose bridge height
- giving volume to specific nasal areas
- creating a more defined nose angle
- added a lifting effect on the nose tip
2. How can nose threads improve the appearance of the nose?
Nose threads are very effective in improving the nose as it performs a dual process.
Instant lifting effect
After the procedure, nose threads instantly lift the supporting tissues around the nose bridge and columella creating a more aesthetic and desirable nose.
At the same time, nose threads stimulate the production of collagen to firmer and more improved skin quality.
3. Nose threads vs Rhinoplasty?
With rhinoplasty or surgical nose lifts, there are many things to be considered such as:
- Invasive in nature
- Severe swelling and bruising in the operated area and extending to other facial parts
- Extensive post-surgery care
- Long recovery time that can take up to weeks
- Greater risk of irritation and complication
- Costlier and requires several visits to the doctor
With these reasons, a lot of patients shy away from going under the knife. Nose threads are non-surgical and can achieve whatever rhinoplasty can do. They are also safer, do not cost as much and have zero to minimal side effects and recovery time compared to rhinoplasty.
4. Nose threads vs Nose Fillers?
Nose fillers can be made of hyaluronic acid (Restylane or Juvederm) that gives an instant lifting effect or substances that are able to stimulate the production of collagen (Radiesse or Ellanse) that gives the nose a more defined the structure. Before, nose fillers were the main alternative to rhinoplasty. However, when done incorrectly, nose fillers can cause:
- death of skin cells and tissues (skin necrosis)
- allergic reactions
- blindness (although rare)
Nose fillers can also “slide off” and worsen the shape of the nose over time. Due to these several associated risks, experienced doctors do not recommend nose fillers to augment the nose anymore. On the other hand, nose threads eliminate these associated risks and are therefore a better option for nose enhancement.
5. What should I expect during the consultation?
Insertion of nose threads is a medical procedure therefore, proper consultation with a trained and skilled doctor is the first step to address the following:
- Proper assessment of the nose shape and structure
- Discusses the desirable angles for a better-looking nose
- Explains the process of nose thread procedure
- Recommends the number of threads to be inserted to achieve the desired result
- Briefs the patient with pre-treatment and after-care must do’s
6. What’s the procedure for nose thread insertion?
- Application of numbing cream and injection of local anaesthesia
After consultation and when the face has been thoroughly cleaned, the nose area will be applied with numbing cream followed by the injection of local anaesthesia at the columella and nose bridge. This step is essential to warrant a comfortable and pain-free experience. Typically, nose threads are painless, however, pain tolerance can differ from one patient to another so the degree of discomfort is truly subjective.
- Insertion and placing of nose threads
When the anaesthesia takes effect, your doctor will start to insert the nose threads. With the aid of a blunt cannula, the short (3.8cm to 7cm) PDO nose threads are carefully and precisely inserted into the nasal bridge or the columella and positioned accordingly depending on the desired nose shape, height and contour.
Excluding consultation time and depending on the number of threads and the complexity of the case, the whole nose thread insertion procedure can be as quick as 10-30 minutes.
7. How long is the downtime?
Right after the procedure, slight bruising and swelling can occur along with the insertion sites but should naturally disappear within a few hours. When done correctly, there is minimal to no downtime at all after nose threads insertion. Some patients even call it a “lunchtime nose lift” as they are able to go back to work or resume normal activities after the procedure. Some injection marks may be visible but can easily be covered with make-up. If you have sensitive skin or history of bleeding disorders, inform your doctor right away to prevent complications.
8. What is the cost of nose threads in Singapore?
The cost of a single session of nose thread lift procedure in Singapore can range from $550 to $950 depending on various factors such as:
- Desired results and improvements
- Number of threads to be inserted
- The complexity of the procedure
- The reputation of the clinic and experience of the doctor
- After-care medication (if necessary)
9. When can I expect to see results?
While results from nose threads insertion can be instantly observed right after the procedure, full effects can be seen after 1-2 months post-procedure when the new collagen has been formed.
10. Are nose threads permanent?
Nose threads are long-lasting and can last for 1 to 2 years. Nose threads, however, are not permanent so if you want to maintain its effects, better book another nose thread lift procedure with your doctor when you feel the effects starting to off. With the bioabsorbable nature of nose, threads eradicate the need to extract them in the future.
Your doctor’s expertise plays a crucial part in your nose threads journey and its success. This is why I can’t stress enough that you have to make sure that you choose a trained and well-experienced cosmetic doctor that you can trust.