Varnish is commonly used to seal hardwood floors as the last step in finishing. Varnish creates a hard, shiny surface like plastic or resin on wood to protect it from moisture, stains, and damage. If you want to refurbish your hardwood floors, you must know how to get latex paint off hardwood floors. Turpentine and other commercial paint thinners will strip varnish from your floors in minutes.
How to get paint off hardwood floors
Remove all furniture and rugs from the room, sweep and mop the floor. Open all windows in the room to create a well-ventilated work area.
- Pour turpentine or another stripper into a bucket.
- Dip a clean cloth in turpentine and wring it out lightly. Wipe wood floors along the grain until the entire floor is covered with turpentine. Let the turpentine sit on the floor for 20 to 30 minutes. You will notice that the polish begins to bubble and peel.
- Be careful not to scratch the floor when scraping off the varnish. If the varnish does not come up, treat the area with a rag and turpentine and sand it down.
- Fill a bucket with white spirit and use a mop to spread the white spirit on the floor once you’ve removed all the polish. The white spirit will neutralize the turpentine and evaporate quickly to leave your floor dry. Place fans in doors and windows to speed up the drying process.
- Sweep the floor to remove small particles of stripped varnish. Go around the room and check if there is any varnish left. If any remains, treat with small turpentine and a rag. Rinse the area with white alcohol.
There are several methods that homeowners can follow and know-how to get paint off hardwood floors. If you’re ready to do this job independently and are looking for a step-by-step guide to follow, look no further.
How to get dried paint off hardwood floors?
Fortunately, to clean paint stains on your floor, you have many tips available to you. Rest assured all of these tricks work. As you know, not all paints are made of the same substance. Remember to check the components of your paint can before applying any cleaning method whatsoever, at the risk of worsening the situation.
Water-based paints are known to have a fairly quick reaction time. Therefore, it would help if you acted quickly enough so that the paint does not contaminate your parquet. Read below about how to get paint off hardwood floors.
How to get paint off of hardwood floors
First, you must check if the paint is indeed water-based and then ask expert how to get paint off hardwood floors. This information is usually available on the container label. Once you have been reassured on this point, you can add a few drops of dishwashing product to a paper towel, and then rub the part of the floor affected by the paint. Rub until the paint is completely gone, then wipe with a dry cloth. This final wipe will allow you to remove any moisture from the area. You know very well that humidity is also very dangerous for floors. Note that this method is especially effective for small stains and fresh stains.
2- Stripping products.
When faced with a fairly large paint stain, which is already dry, you must use a much more abrasive method, which will allow you to remove the stains permanently. The use of stripping products should therefore be considered. So get some at the nearest hardware store or in supermarkets. Stripping products are very abrasive. It is important to be very careful when using them. Also, remember to protect your hands from corrosion.
Once you have your stripping product, apply it to the paint stain using a soaked cotton ball on the affected surface. Be careful not to touch the parts of the floor that are not at all concerned by the treatment, at the risk of damaging them. If you have no indication, 15 minutes will be more than enough for the stripper to take effect.
You will now only have to wipe with a paper towel to find an immaculate floor. If you have no indication, 15 minutes will be more than enough for the stripper to take effect.
3- Use denatured alcohol.
Denatured alcohol is a product of the same family as paint stripper. You can find it in supermarkets, but also hardware stores. It’s not a hard-to-find product at all, especially since it is available for sale in shops on the Internet.
This product should be used for cases of stubborn paint. Its use is relatively easy. Be careful not to touch the parts of the floor that are not at all concerned by the treatment, at the risk of damaging them. So make sure to let it work for as long as possible. When you feel the product has taken effect, take a scrub brush and scrub the stained area. With cloth of alcohol, denatures, do another safety cleaning.
So follow the above tips and hope these tips help you know how to get dried paint off of hardwood floors.