Attention all wanderers and adventurers seeking budget-friendly European escapades!
Embark on a remarkable journey to some of the cheapest countries in Europe, where you can explore a perfect blend of history, culture, and nature without breaking the bank.
We have meticulously curated a list of the 12 cheapest countries in Europe, where you can indulge in some of the best places to visit in Europe for the thrifty traveler. From fairytale castles to sun-kissed beaches, immerse yourself in the rich heritage, indulge in mouthwatering cuisines, and bask in the awe-inspiring landscapes that await you on this unforgettable adventure.
With a plethora of budget-friendly attractions and experiences, these destinations are perfect for those seeking to explore Europe without compromising their wallets. So pack your bags, dust off your wanderlust, and let the magic of these cheapest European countries to visit captivate your heart!
List of 12 Cheapest Countries in Europe
Bulgaria, a hidden gem in Eastern Europe, captivates with its picturesque landscapes and rich history. Wander through the centuries-old Rila Monastery, get lost in the cobblestone streets of Plovdiv’s Old Town, and hike the breathtaking Seven Rila Lakes. Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria, stands out as one of the cheapest cities in Europe, offering a perfect blend of cultural experiences and historical attractions on a budget.
Top Attractions to Visit in Bulgaria
- Rila Monastery,
- Plovdiv’s Old Town,
- Seven Rila Lakes.
Best Season to Visit Bulgaria:
Where To Stay on Budget in Bulgaria?
- Stay with locals through Couchsurfing for an authentic Bulgarian experience and insider tips.
- Book a room in a family-run guesthouse in the countryside for a charming and budget friendly stay.
Hungary’s capital, Budapest, enchants visitors with its grand architecture and thermal baths. Explore the majestic Buda Castle, marvel at the Hungarian Parliament Building, and unwind at the famous Széchenyi Thermal Bath. Relish in mouthwatering Hungarian dishes such as goulash and lángos.
Top Attractions to Visit in Hungary
- Buda Castle,
- Hungarian Parliament Building,
- Széchenyi Thermal Bath.
Best Season to Visit Hungary
Where To Stay on Budget in Hungary?
- Opt for an eco-friendly farm stay in the Hungarian countryside for a peaceful retreat amidst nature.
- Consider staying in a budget-friendly capsule hotel in Budapest for a unique and compact experience.
Romania boasts a tapestry of medieval castles and breathtaking landscapes. Explore the legendary Bran Castle, and visit the fairytale-like Peleș Castle. Drive along the stunning Transfagarasan Highway. Savor traditional Romanian delicacies like sarmale and mămăligă.
Top Attractions to Visit in Romania
- Bran Castle,
- Peleș Castle,
- Transfagarasan Highway.
Best Season to Visit Romania
- Early Autumn.
Where To Stay on Budget in Romania?
- Experience the local hospitality by booking a room in a traditional Romanian agrotourism guesthouse.
- Consider staying in a converted historic building, like a former monastery or castle, turned into a budget accommodation.
Also, Read Tips on How to Get Cheap Prices while Booking Hotel
The Czech Republic lures travelers with its fairytale towns and vibrant city life. Wander through Prague Castle, cross the iconic Charles Bridge, and lose yourself in the medieval charm of Český Krumlov. It’s no wonder that these captivating destinations make the Czech Republic one of the best places to visit in Europe for history enthusiasts and adventure seekers alike.
Top Attractions to Visit in the Czech Republic
- Prague Castle,
- Charles Bridge,
- Český Krumlov.
Best Season to Visit the Czech Republic
Where To Stay on Budget in the Czech Republic?
- Rent a cozy and affordable apartment through Airbnb for a home-away-from-home experience.
- Stay in a budget-friendly boat hotel on the Vltava River in Prague for a memorable stay with stunning views.
Poland‘s rich history and natural wonders await exploration. Discover Krakow’s Old Town, pay homage to Auschwitz-Birkenau, and marvel at the underground Wieliczka Salt Mine. Enjoy traditional Polish pierogis and hearty dishes like bigos.
Top Attractions to Visit in Poland
- Krakow’s Old Town,
- Wieliczka Salt Mine.
Best Season to Visit Poland
Where To Stay on Budget in Poland?
- Look for affordable boutique hostels that offer themed rooms and communal spaces to meet fellow travelers.
- Consider staying in a rural agriturismo to experience Polish countryside life and homemade delicacies.
Portugal beckons with its coastal beauty and cultural heritage. Get lost in Lisbon’s Alfama District, visit Porto’s Ribeira, and explore the historic Belem Tower. Don’t miss out on the world-famous pastéis de nata and freshly-caught seafood.
Top Attractions to Visit in Portugal
- Lisbon’s Alfama District,
- Porto’s Ribeira, and
- Belem Tower.
Best Season to Visit Portugal
- Late Summer.
Where To Stay on Budget in Portugal?
- Stay in a charming “pousada,” a converted historic building with affordable rates and local character.
- Opt for a beachfront campsite near Porto or Lisbon for a budget-friendly seaside adventure.
Also, Read Instagram Travel Accounts for Inspiration
Greece boasts a rich tapestry of ancient ruins and island beauty. Climb the Acropolis in Athens. Santorini, with its captivating sunsets and stunning white-washed buildings perched on cliff edges, is undeniably the best place to visit in Greece. Indulge in Greek gyros and moussaka, take a dip in the crystal-clear waters of the Aegean Sea, and immerse yourself in the dreamlike ambiance of this picturesque island. A bucket-list destination for romance and relaxation, Santorini offers a slice of paradise in the heart of the Aegean.
Top Attractions to Visit in Greece
- Meteora Monasteries.
Best Season to Visit Greece
- Early Autumn.
Where To Stay on Budget in Greece?
- Book a stay in a budget-friendly monastery guesthouse on the scenic Greek islands for a serene and cultural experience.
- Explore eco-lodges in the Greek countryside, offering sustainability and a closer connection with nature.
Croatia mesmerizes as one of the cheapest countries in Europe with its coastal towns and natural wonders. Explore the captivating charm of Dubrovnik’s Old Town, discover the cascading beauty of Plitvice Lakes, and step back in time at Diocletian’s Palace in Split. Indulge in the freshest seafood straight from the Adriatic and be sure to try the local favorite, peak, a traditional Croatian delicacy that perfectly complements your affordable and unforgettable journey.
Top Attractions to Visit in Croatia
- Dubrovnik’s Old Town,
- Plitvice Lakes National Park,
- Diocletian’s Palace.
Best Season to Visit Croatia
- Early autumn.
Where To Stay on Budget in Croatia?
- Stay in a rustic guesthouse in a picturesque village to experience the authentic Croatian way of life.
- Consider camping in national parks or nature reserves for an affordable and nature-immersed stay.
Estonia offers a charming blend of medieval architecture and natural beauty. Explore Tallinn’s Old Town, immerse yourself in the tranquility of Lahemaa National Park, and visit the opulent Kadriorg Palace. Try Estonian black bread and the delightful kohuke.
Top Attractions to Visit in Estonia
- Tallinn’s Old Town,
- Lahemaa National Park,
- Kadriorg Palace.
Best Season to Visit Estonia
- Late spring
Where To Stay on Budget in Estonia?
- Book a cozy cottage in the countryside through local vacation rental platforms for a peaceful and private stay.
- Stay in a budget-friendly university dormitory during the summer holidays when students are away.
Latvia, one of the cheapest countries in Europe, enchants with its dynamic capital and pristine beaches. Roam around Riga’s Old Town, where historical charm meets modern vibrancy, and hike through the picturesque trails of Gauja National Park. Unwind on the sandy shores of Jurmala Beach for an affordable and captivating Baltic experience.
Top Attractions to Visit in Latvia
- Riga’s Old Town,
- Gauja National Park,
- Jurmala Beach.
Best Season to Visit Latvia
- Late spring
Where To Stay on Budget in Latvia?
- Experience a unique stay in a traditional Latvian “dzīvoklis,” a communal apartment with affordable rates and local interaction.
- Consider staying in a converted industrial building or warehouse-turned-hostel for a trendy and budget-friendly experience.
Lithuania‘s Baltic charm and historical gems beckon exploration. Discover Vilnius’ Old Town, visit Trakai Island Castle, and relish the serenity of the Curonian Spit. Try Lithuanian Cepelinai and experience the lively culture.
Top Attractions to Visit in Lithuania
- Vilnius’ Old Town,
- Trakai Island Castle,
- Curonian Spit.
Best Season to Visit Lithuania
- Late spring
Where To Stay on Budget in Lithuania?
- Look for budget-friendly guesthouses or hostels located in charming historical buildings for an authentic Lithuanian experience.
- Stay in a budget-friendly art hotel for a unique and creative stay in Vilnius or other major cities.
Also, Check Out Creative Suggestions for Travellers that you Must Know
Albania is a treasure trove of history and natural wonders. This particular destination is known as one of the cheapest countries in Europe. Discover Berat’s UNESCO-listed Old Town, wander through the ancient ruins of Butrint National Park, and visit the fortress of Gjirokastër. Relish in Albanian fergese and take in the stunning vistas of the Albanian Riviera.
Top Attractions to Visit in Albania
- Berat’s Old Town,
- Butrint National Park,
- Gjirokastër Castle.
Best Season to Visit Albania
- Late spring
Where To Stay on Budget in Albania?
- Consider booking your accommodation in a traditional Albanian stone house or “kulla” for an authentic and budget-friendly experience.
- Look for budget-friendly guesthouses or hostels in the vibrant city of Tirana for a lively and wallet-friendly urban experience.
What are some other budget friendly destinations in Europe?
Portugal, Spain, and Hungary stand out as three budget friendly countries in Europe. Portugal entices with beautiful beaches and rich history, while Spain offers vibrant cities like Valencia, Seville, and Granada. Meanwhile, Hungary, especially Budapest, provides affordable accommodations and a plethora of free or low-cost attractions.
What budget should I allocate for my trip to Europe?
The budget for your trip to Europe will vary based on the countries you visit, travel style, and duration. As a general estimate, a budget of $50 to $100 per day for accommodations, food, local transportation, and activities should provide a comfortable experience without breaking the bank.
What would be the most optimal method of transportation between these destinations?
The best way to travel between these destinations is by utilizing budget airlines, such as Ryanair and EasyJet, or using cost-effective train and bus options, like FlixBus or Eurail passes, to save on transportation expenses.
Can I visit Europe on a budget and still have a great experience?
Yes, you can visit some of the best places to visit in Europe on a budget and still have an incredible experience! Look for budget accommodations like hostels, guesthouses, or vacation rentals, savor local street food, explore free or low-cost attractions, and take advantage of city passes or discount cards. Embrace the local culture, engage with fellow travelers, and you’ll create unforgettable memories without overspending. Happy travels!
With this guide to some of the cheapest countries in Europe and their most affordable and captivating destinations, you’re all set for an extraordinary adventure on a budget. Immerse yourself in the history, savor the local flavors, and soak in the natural beauty that each country offers. Pack your bags, fuel your wanderlust, and embark on an adventure that will leave you with cherished memories to last a lifetime!